Caught in Waiting

Waiting at a doctors office can seem to take forever, you sit there looking at magazines or people watching while you also watch time slowly tick by on a clock.  Or what about waiting for a precious baby to be born, the waiting process seems to drag on and on and on. I still remember the day my oldest nephew was born. She checked in that morning to start the inducing process,  the rest of us got there around lunch time. We watched the clock as it slowly passed time and we anxiously awaited for the beautiful little miracle to be born.

Sometimes when we are waiting on God it can also feel this way. You pray and pray and pray and then you wait, wait and wait some more. Well at least this is how I have felt over the last few months as I been caught in waiting.

I graduated with my masters degree in May. Up to this point in my life I always had a pretty good idea of what was next in life. I would plan out my semester and take the classes I needed, but then the planning ended in November of last year when I registered for my last class. So what was next? I thought I knew I would keep working where I had interned until I was licensed and then I would move to the other side of the company from working as a direct care staff to being a therapist. God began closing those doors for me. At the time I didn't understand what was going on and it was hard to think that God had something better in mind for me. I mean this was the ideal "plan" stay where I was work for two years to get my license and then move on to my "dream job". As you can imagine when plans fell through I felt frustrated and confused.



Week after week I would send off application after application. I had a few interviews here and there but no offers. The bills still came and the savings I had kept depleting month after month. My stress levels increased, but I hadn't given up hope I kept praying. I remember one of my close friends even saying "Evonna this gives God the chance to do a miracle in your life". I hadn't really thought of my situation in this way so my prayers changed after this...no longer praying God would you do _____ it changed to God would you perform a miracle, would open doors on you can open and shut those that need to be shut and above all would you help me yield to your will in my life and not my own.

Throughout the summer I continued to prep for a trip to Greece, I helped out with our church summer serve and spent quality time with friends. I finally landed a temp job, was it a dream job? Not at all! But it was income. I dreaded this job at first. I was not excited at all about pulling staples and batching papers. After the first 2-3 days of it though God shifted my way of thinking and softened my heart. I had been going through a rough patch with friends and just feelings of loneliness. I would not trade the time at my temp job for anything. I learned to enjoy my temp job because I got to listen to audible books, podcast, worship music and I just spent my days with God. It was during this time that I really learned to trust and lean on God for everything.

I was then "unofficially" offered a job. So once my temp job was completed I made a trip home to see my family before diving into my career as a therapist at this new job. A few days after returning to Omaha I received an email that the "unofficial" offer had been revoked and they would not be hiring me. Again I felt totally confused and unsure of what God was doing. I kept applying for jobs but my start date would be towards the end of September because I would be heading to Greece mid September.



The day before I was due to leave for Greece, I had just finished packing when our team leaders called and asked if they could come by to speak to me. I then learned that due to finances and not having the funds come in for my trip that I would not be going to Greece. My heart broke, I was angry, frustrated and again confused. I still try to wrap my head around all of it and it doesn't make complete sense. I do know that God used this time to again draw me into His presence and to show me again and again that He is still in control.

To back track the Wednesday before I was scheduled to leave for Greece I had attended Healing Rain.  During a time of prayer those who were seeking employment were called to the front. I went forward as I was still looking for a job. I had interviewed that day for a company and it paid well and sounded great but I wouldn't be able to start working for 3-6 months as we waited on insurance panels. So I went forward and God spoke some powerful things to me through others that night. I went home and continued to search for employment.

Late that night into next morning I came across a company website that works with teens. It is a residential facility. I watched videos and read just about every page of their website and the more I read the more excited I became about this company. I then discovered that they were hiring for a full time therapist. So on a whim I cleaned my my resume and emailed to them. The following Monday I would begin corresponding through emails with the company. Within a few weeks we had connected by phone and I completed my phone interview things went great and that day we scheduled a face to face to take place in two weeks. I was excited but was still nervous that something would happen and things not go through. As I had already been what felt like rejected after the "unofficial" offer I had previously.



I packed all my belongings up and traveled back to Arkansas to stay with my parents as we awaited what would come from this face to face interview. Again I was caught in waiting. The days seemed to go by so slow at times and I anxiously would wait for my phone to ring with a Missouri phone number. After much praying, applying and praying some more I finally got the phone call. "Evonna we would like to officially offer you a position as a therapist"!! I was elated! She told me they would be mailing me my official letter in the mail...well I'm still waiting on that letter but everything is a go and I could not be more excited about this new journey.

There were days that the process seemed hopeless, days that the enemy would taunt me with lies and I would find myself feeling down and discouraged. It was really hard when people I knew had applied for a few jobs here and there and then were hired. I questioned God during these times asking why? and "whats wrong with me, why can't I find a job?" Each time God would gently reply "I have something great for you" or "trust me" or "come on adventure with me". After hearing from Him I was able to again lay it all down at His feet and wait. This wait was well worth it. In my eyes it is my first "dream job".

God called me into this waiting period so he could grow me, not professionally but spiritually. I can not imagine starting this job without going through this growing process.

Don't despise the wait, rather cherish it. I being the planner I am wanted a map with directions for each step, but thats not faith. Faith is stepping out into what appears to be nothing and saying I will follow you God, lead me and guide me.

I pray that if you are waiting for something that God would take you on a beautiful adventure just like he has brought me on this one. Hold on and remain steadfast! He's not going to fail you!

Stay tune for adventure updates as I began the process of moving to Missouri!! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STOP Chasing the Dream that's not Yours

I'm a Perfectly, Imperfect Mom

Thy Will