Hosting the Holy Spirit

Just listened to a great message on Hosting the Holy Spirit. A host invites you over, makes an effort, prepares before the person gets there. He questioned the listeners with several questions such as "Do you make room throughout your day to tune into the Holy Spirit? Does the Holy Spirit feel welcomed in your life?" David understood the value of the Holy Spirit in Psalms 50 he stated "don't take your Holy Spirit form me". The key scripture was
John 1:29 
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him (emphasis added). 33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.”
Notice in verse 32 there are two points here...
1) the Holy Spirit is referred to as a dove
2) it says "remain on him"

The Holy Spirit comes down as a dove with that we need to understand a dove's characteristics. A dove can spook easily and they are not aggressive. In Genesis Noah sends 2 birds out after the flood a raven and a dove. The raven is flesh eating,  it came out and saw filth and was happy because it fed off of the filth. The dove is the opposite and comes back as it couldn't find a place to rest its feet. 

We often ask ourselves or others: Should I watch this, should I do this or that. A question we can ask our selves is "Does the Holy Spirit want to remain there if you are doing this or that?"

If a dove was to come and rest on you, it would change the way you walked, you have to be mindful of that dove with every step you take. The same is true with the Holy Spirit. When we host the Holy Spirit we are inviting him in, preparing space for him. We cannot do what God has called us to do apart from the Holy Spirit. We can't do it in our might but by the power of the Holy Spirit (Zechariah 4:6). When the dove descended on him and it remained, something changed. 

When we understand how to host the Holy Spirit, He comes in and He remains. It changes how we look at ourselves because we are carrying the Holy Spirit we are a vessel so everywhere we step the Holy Spirit steps. 

So when you walk into the meeting, or a room, or a store, a class anywhere you step the Holy Spirit is stepping. 

"Revival doesn't come to a city because of a great preacher, because the band members are great, or because you are well organized and have small groups. Those are all great and build the atmosphere that attracts the Holy Spirit." Revival comes when  the Holy Spirit comes down and remains on us and we cary the Holy Spirit with us out into our workplace, schools, colleges...that is when things start to change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy Will

STOP Chasing the Dream that's not Yours

I'm a Perfectly, Imperfect Mom